Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Time management for online social networkers



After thinking about yesterday's post, I decided to add this one.

Now, keep in mind that this is MY schedule for online social networking, and not necessarily a suggestion on how you should schedule your day.

The intent is to give you an example of how to go about scheduling your time spent on online social networking sites.

Also, the presumption here is that you're using online social networking sites to grow your business.

Before I go into it, I want to let you know a little about how my day goes...

I am employed as an operations manager for a litigation support company. In a nutshell, my company works onsite for various law firms and corporations handling their mail room services, photocopy and scanning centers, and office supplies. I am charged with managing 35 people, tracking cash flow for my site (profit and loss), and acting as a liaison between my employer and site (i.e. client) for various issues.

It is a very demanding, fast-paced job, so I do not have a lot of time to surf on the Internet during work hours and such, and when I'm not working my job, I'm working my home-based event planning and promotions business, or consulting various home-based entrepreneurs or sole proprietors.

Of course, all work and no play will make me a dull boy, so I make sure to make time to rest and spend time with my friends and family.

I tend to be check online social networking sites Monday through Friday, and here is how I manage my time spent on social networking sites:

  • Breakfast - While eating my breakfast at my desk, I'll check out LinkedIn to see what my connections are up to and to see if any questions or answers of interest have been posted.


  • Lunch - I usually have my lunch at my desk so I like to see what my friends on Facebook are doing and type in a few names of people from my past whom I'd like to reconnect with. I also like to see what my connections are doing of Fast Pitch! Networking


  • Late Afternoon/Early Evening - Before I go home, or while I'm on my way home on the subway, I'll log onto Twitter to let those who are 'following' me know what going on with me and probably make a comment about some miscellaneous thing or pose a question.


  • Evenings - Some evenings are spend either attending a Meetup (i.e. face-to-face event), or doing a 'phone blitz' on BlitzTime
The weekends are typically reserved for family and friend time, but I do take the time to do research, so I'll check out a few recorded videos on YouTube or Ustream, check out podcasts/Internet radio shows on Blog Talk Radio.

Remember, it is important to get out there and talk to people. But even if your impetus for using online social networking sites is business related, don't forget focus on building relationships.

If you want to see some cool videos on using social networking sites for business and pleasure, check out Perry Belcher's videos on YouTube.

I have not had the opportunity to meet him or even chat with him yet, but his videos are totally awesome.

Check them out.

Have a great 2009, folks!

Tyrone Turner

No comments: